Saturday, December 6, 2008

Interview with FreshPeaches/Etsy



























Nostalgic Studio's shop showcases prints and originals of mixed media paintings of the "Forever Strong Womanhood" Series by Terah Ware. According to her artist statement... "Because of this turning point in my life as a stronger woman, I wanted to convey messages in my paintings to women by illustrating issues of control, strength and power. I chose the turn of the century, the Edwardian Era, as a backdrop for my paintings because the time period was filled with conformity. Much like my earlier acceptance of average circumstances, Edwardian women based their daily decisions by the influence of their society. In each painting, I incorporated a confident or submissive woman to represent their specific challenge or obstacle. We should appreciate their travels and congratulate the journey they conquered to reach today."

The shop also carries "An Era's Ambiance" Jewelry line. All jewelry creations are a combination of vintage and modern findings.

Tell me about how you originally got into your craft.
I began mixed media in college. I was working in an art store and had all mediums at my finger tips. I discovered by experimentation that I loved to layer images and textures on to illustration board. Because of my love for antiques, you will find textiles, old newspaper ads and handmade papers collaged in my paintings. The portraits in my paintings are strictly pastel on washes of acrylic. I love to render my own subject matter and leave the details collaged. In my interdisciplinary studio class in 2001, I was given the assignment to begin a series...that was when "Forever Strong Womanhood" was born. I just completed the series this year and archived the paintings by converting the originals to prints. My "An Era's Ambiance" Jewelry Line actually began this year by the incorporating antique findings and new designs for necklaces and bracelets. I love to bring the "old" back to life. I find that the turn of the century created quality, detailed and functional art that have aged so wonderfully. Why not use those pieces in modern jewelry?

What is your favorite thing to do in the whole wide world?
The first thing that came to my mind...is dancing. I also love to do Medieval Reenacting. Art is great too.

What is your biggest challenge when it comes to running your shop?
I just started this shoppe, so I would have to say...getting the shoppe out there for the public to view.

What item in your shop would you most like to receive as a gift if someone were shopping for you?
From the "Forever Strong Womanhood" Series, I would choose, "The Figurehead" because of the content. I feel that breast cancer is a notable topic. My Great Grandmother had breast cancer during a time that could not provide the medical attention we have today. I wanted to paint an image that captured breast cancer patients as strong individuals that lead our men and women. I chose "the figurehead", a symbolic figure that was believed by the crew of the ship to sail them safely home.

From the "An Era's Ambiance" Jewelry Line..."Autumn" Necklace, only because it is me!


When you were a kid, what did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
I remember in 2nd grade, I wanted to be a nurse. I know now that I just wanted to heal people... As an Art Teacher, I do that now in my classroom. Art is so therapeutic for children and it is away for them to build their self-esteem. I am fortunate to have the role to influence our youth in art.

What other shops out there do you love?
Gosh, there are so many...as you can see on my favorites. I will have to say that the shop that really influenced me to get started was DuttonArt. Dutton is a wonderful illustrator for kids. His professionalism and quality is apparent in packaging and advertising. Overall, he truly presents himself as genuine and that goes along way!

What does your future hold?
Hmmm...I can't wait to open my NEW shoppe, "The White Wardrobe"! This shoppe will be wonderful for people who love nostalgia. If you find yourself roaming antique stores and intrigued by the turn of the century...then you will love this shoppe. The clothing will be amazing and beautiful. Besides it gives me the opportunity to do what I love...educating people about the past for our future.



For Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, the shop will be listing the "Forever Strong Womanhood" Pendant Series that will include a free chain.

Also, 15% off of PRINTS! (Limited time only for the holidays.)

Visit www.nostalgicstudio.com for more from this exciting and empowering artist.

No comments: